Thursday, January 5, 2012

Aural Pleasure, The Twelfth Day of Xmas


On the twelfth day of Xmas my AP gave to me ... twelve drummers drumming. Hey, I got that one right, wow, I can't believe how that worked out. And okay, it only sounds like twelve drummers in this group ... I guess. 'Cause you know ... there's the one drummer who's really dynamic and I uh ... man can you tell that I'm burned out on all these intro jokes (I use the word "joke" generously here)? Thank goodness this is the last one, hooray. What is this last album of the year.

No Color - The Dodos

Remember last year when I concluded that Buke and Gass produced albomb of the year, because it was a group of just two people that sounded like a full band? Hm no? Well that's okay because I'm going to say pretty much the same thing here. The Dodos are only two dudes, a drummer and a guitarist/vocalist, but God do they sound so much fuller and way more interesting than you might expect. Lets start with the drummer, why? Because he's so damn interesting. First of all he doesn't play a normal drum setup, opting instead to omit the fucking bass drum of all things, and focus more on the other pieces. This may sound crazy, but it makes for a unique sound, and despite the missing bass drum, or maybe because of it I don't know, he lays down some seriously sprawling and dynamic soundscapes. It's quite interesting, and you know how much I love the interesting and experimental side of things.

On top of all this comes the guitar and vocals, which at first might sound like your typical indie stylings. But then you realize that the guitar playing builds complexly around the unique drums (Or vice verse) to form a completely unique indie rock sound. And you know what, I'm going to stop trying to explain their sound right now, just have a listen already. Here check out "Going Under," "When Will You Go," and "Good". What did I say, they have quite the sprawling sound huh? And with only just two of them, how could this musician who loves some good sonic experimentation not add this to his list? Very good question, check out The Dodos if you're into the same thing. Oh and Happy New Year, I guess we can only hope that 2012 will be as badass as 2011 was for music. It probably won't be, but oh well, at least we got luck this year huh? Until next time dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment