Thursday, October 29, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green



Hi all, not much to report really. My days are spent wistfully preparing for my oral exam and putting off the corrections of my second paper. One thing of note though, my good friend R defended his dissertation yesterday and it was wonderful. I love final defenses, they're so exciting, especially when you're friends with the person defending. For those of you not in the know, to get your PhD you spend years writing your dissertation, then when it's all over you get up in front of your committee and whoever else wants to come and show off your work. It's not really a hurdle, unless of course your adviser did all your research for you. Most defenses I haven't understood one bit, R's however was really easy to follow, at the least the motivation. He works in biomath (with applications to amphibian populations), which is a very hot area in mathematics right now. I'm not very interested in it, but what they're trying to do is really easy to follow. They have the advantage of being able to explain their research to the layman, which is a luxury I don't have (unless you've taken calculus or, even better, DE). Anyway, congratulations R, or should I say Dr. R.

P.S. The above picture was actually on one of R's slides, for the section on Dispersion and Migration, get it? What a day.

2 comments:

  1. It's only too bad, because I know how close you and he were. He is one of your dearest friends you have. Now who are you going to hang out with between classes and complain about the department with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... I ... I don't know, cause that complaining wont happen all by itself, guess I'll have to do some of it here ... after friday of course, after friday

    ReplyDelete