Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tonal Shift

The title will be funnier once you read the post.



Today represents a shift in my ideas and thoughts and what I'd like this blog to do. Am I abandoning the math? Not really, it's who I am after all. But trying to keep every entry math related has become far too much of a chore. Imagine if you will, going to work all day and then coming home to blog about it ... yeah even if you love your job you don't want to do that. There's still some interesting math and sciencey things I'd like to talk about, but I've been too strict on myself regarding the posts here. Sure I love math, in as much as its my career path, but there's plenty of other things I love in a 'it's still enjoyable' sense. I'd like to start focusing a bit more on these other things, with the other topics offering a smattering of nerd color here and there.

Here's the problem as I see it. How many blogs are there about music, or movies, or games, or anything for that matter? I chose to talk about math mainly because not that many people know about it. They know of it sure, but not many people know it in the way I do, and I had hoped to share the madcap intricacies found within with whoever cared to read. This is my roundabout way of saying that I'd like to do a similar thing with these other topics. I spend a lot of my time finding bands or movies that no one's heard of, and I always feel its my job to spread the word about this underappreciated stuff. Now don't worry, I'm not one of those indiefiles, of the type I'd meet in undergrad, who when asked their favorite bands would list off ten bands I'd never heard of. No, my favorites include the likes of Johnny Cash and The Clash, but also includes bands like The Libertines and Cheikh Lô (and if you've heard of these guys then let's be friends), and these are the guys I'd like to talk about. Introducing people to knew things is what I love, which may be why I'm a teacher, but that's a discussion for another day.

Now, I'd like this to be two-fold. I feel that if I recommend things you haven't heard of possibly you'd repay the favor. I'm hoping to get recommendations myself, so if you see a movie on here that you love and know that I would like a certain movie based on that, let me know. Discovering knew things is something I love too, which may be why I'm still a student (again see above). So, we'll see how this goes adding this to the theme. It may be cocky to feel that I have a unique disposition on the world, but hey, I'm a cowboy mathematician. You can only learn great things from me.

And yeah I know, the title still isn't funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment