Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Book That God Wrote, Preface


I know this is a sciency blog and all, but I've decided recently to read the Bible in its entirety. There are a few reasons I've decided to do this. One, I'm sick and tired of hearing people use 'Well the Bible says blah de blah blah' as part of their argument because I can't really say much, for all I know it does. I want to see what the Bible says about certain things for myself. Does the Bible really say it's evil to be gay? What does Jesus actually say about the subject? I'm going to find these things out for myself. It surprises me how many people will make theological arguments based completely on what other people tell them is true, and as a scientist I can't abide by it. But, as you may ask, why do you even care as a scientist? And it's a good question, and my answer may not be very good. But as a sciency type I must admit that there are certain questions science can't answer. The way I like to put it, science can answer the "how" questions, i.e. "how does the human body work? how did we get here?" but it's not very good at answering the "why" questions of life, like "why are we here?" That question is where philosophy and theology must step in. Second, I'm just plain curious, I want to know what's in this fun little book, and I thought it would be neat to approach it with my typical sarcasm. So, if you'd like to hear about a questioning mathematician's experiences reading through the book that God wrote, then stay tuned, I'll be sharing my thoughts as I come across them in as entertaining a style I can muster. If I read a chapter book a week I should finish in a year and 3 months. Should be fun, bring it on Genesis!

If things go as planned I'd like this to be a Sunday feature, hopefully there's some neat things I'd like to talk about in that first chapter book. I already know it has some naked people and sibling murder, sounds awesome!

2 comments:

  1. So basically, you're doing this instead of going to church every week? ;) I gotchya, I gotchya

    ReplyDelete
  2. seems more productive, and far less boring to me :P

    ReplyDelete