Thursday, March 11, 2010

Numbers


Numbers is coming I promise, it's been a hectic couple of weeks, but I'm in the process of writing up part 1 right now. It should be published by Sunday and if I get a burst of energy it might even be out the gate by tomorrow. It should also be worth the wait, Numbers has caused me to laugh out loud a few times already, but unfortunately the beginning was pretty slow, which helped with my procrastination for sure. The second half though, oh the second half is just pure gold, you'll see, oh you'll see.

So what's been keeping me busy? Well today I submitted the second half of my language exam, basically I had to write this big ole program and turn it in for review. If it's complicated enough I'll get a pass, if not well it's back to the drawing board. The fact that I get to pick the project is a double edged sword. Sure I can pick the project, but after spending all this time on it, if I hear it's not good enough then it'll be nothing but a pure waste of time. Also there's this conference in Atlanta in July, well the papers are due April 15, and unfortunately for my free time my adviser wants me to submit something, and not just anything, she wants me to submit something numerical. Which means computer shit to all you laymen out there. So yeah, I've been a crazy programming fiend lately, that PhD's not going to get itself I guess.

Hey, here's what I've been digging lately: Matisyahu's latest album 'Light'. If I had've gotten this when it came out it would've been a shooin for my "Best of 2009" list, but it also had to grow on me. If you haven't heard of Matisyahu then shame on you. Imagine an orthodox Jew that does reggae/dub/rap/jam/rock music, and now imagine that it rocks. Here just watch the videos below and if you aren't convinced that he's the shit, then you're just emotionally/musically untouchable. This album is so different than his earlier stuff, way more dub this time and lots of other new inspirations and additions, but it's certainly excellent. Plus his little dances rock.



 Which shows off the newer stuff, next is a classic Matisyahu jam :



Anyway, enough of my blabbing, I just wanted to give you all a headsup. Back to Numbers, but before I go, in honor of Numbers coming up, here's a little puzzle that's number related: A man is bombing through the desert and he's parched. He comes up to a man at a well and says, "Please can I have some water? I'm about to die, I'll pay you anything." The man says, "Sure, but you can only have 7 gallons. Also I only have 2 buckets: a 5 gallon bucket and an 8 gallon bucket. If you can get exactly 7 gallons out of the well using only these 2 buckets then you can have it."

Is this possible? If so, what's your solution? If not, why isn't it possible? Let me know, the first person to get it right will ... get um ... well you'll get bragging rights anyway. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment