Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Aural Pleasure, Looking Forward 11


Hey there party people, so it'll probably be a good while before I can get back to the Bible entries. I know, I know, I've been applying for jobs, and writing my dissertation, and typing up a paper for publication that'll be the last chapter of my dissertation, and I'm trying to do all of this without going completely nuts. So, until at least one of following is done I probably won't have time to devote to an entire Bible entry. But in the mean time I can share a few entries that require less resources from me. Like this one I'm writing now, here's a list of some music to look forward to in 2011, and in a year we'll see which one's actually end up on my best-of list.

Nick 13's solo album. Yeah this is no big deal, it's just the lead singer of Tiger Army releasing a solo country album. Yeah, just an entire album of songs like "Where The Moss Slowly Grows," "The Long Road," and "Outlaw Heart," no big deal right? Wrong, seriously Nick 13 has written some of the best country style songs I've ever heard, the way he's able to mix his sci-fi like imagery into the same-old same-old that modern country has become makes me anxious to see how he might shake things up in Nashville. This album will be boss, believe me. My hope is that he'll cover Johnny Cash's "Thirteen," (Actually written by Glenn Danzig apparently) I think that would be really cool considering his stage name and all.

Oneirology by CunninLynguists. If you haven't realized by now, I fucking love CunninLynguists, they released arguably the best hip-hop album ever with A Piece of Strange, a concept album about morality, temptation, and the complications of both. Last year, Kno, the producer and sometimes MC of CunninLynguists, released Death is Silent, a concept album about the inevitability of death, and even made it on my best-of list for 2010. Oneirology is going to be a concept album about dreams, and I can only imagine how badass this will be if the cover art above lends any idea. Check out this song from their last LP to see what this might end up sounding like. Oh and just fucking get A Piece of Strange already.

 The new Blackalicious album. Speaking of the best hip-hop ever, word around the campfire is that Blackalicious is releasing a new album early this year. Blackalicious has never released anything but incredible albums, which can also arguably be the best hip-hop albums ever. And on their last album The Craft, their DJ Chief Xcel amazed me with the sounds he was able to create, with them experimenting with different genres, and even had what could be mistaken as a rock song in the mix. So, needless to say I'm fairly anxious to see what new tricks these guys have picked up in the past 5+ years. Here, have another listen.

 The Valley by Eisley. Hey, Eisley's resleasing a new album in March. Who's Eisley? Just this awesome little indie band from Texas with some beautifully haunting vocalists. Here have a listen to their new song, and then an older one. This band seems to just get better with age, and hopefully The Valley will be further proof of that. Plus, what a weird album cover, should be great.

 U2 + Danger Mouse. Did you know that U2 was working with DJ fucking Danger Mouse? I know, right? What in the what is going on? Well with as experimental U2 was with samples and such with their last album, this seems like a natural, albeit still surprising, move. U2 is one of my all time favorite bands, what can I say? They were my first favorite band, so I have a little soft spot for them in that respect, and I'll go to the fucking mat for them. I love their modern albums along with their classics, bring it on assholes. Anyway, This could very well be an interesting project, I hope they get very experimental with Danger Mouse, maybe then people will stop falsely accusing them of releasing the same song over and over again.

And there you go, are you excited? I am, let's see how these five albums turn out. Oh hey, did I leave something out? You may be screaming, "The New Fucking Decemberists Album!"


Oh right, yeah, that's already out, it came out today in fact. I'm listening to it right now. So maybe you should go ahead and buy it too.

2 comments:

  1. I know I was screaming "The New Fucking Decemberists Album!"

    Also I love how the album photos from TKiD make it look like they all live together on a ranch...with horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always figured they did live together on a ranch with horses

    ReplyDelete