Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Aural Pleasure, 2010 For The Win


Hi there, happy new year. As you can see I didn't have that final 2 Samuel entry before the end of December. What can I say? Oh right, I was home for the holidays and didn't feel like taking time away from friends and family to sit down and write a monstrously sized entry about a part of the Bible I haven't even finished reading yet (whoops, cat's out of the bag now I guess). Anyway, what should I do to hold you over? I know, end of year lists ... 'cause yknow those are awesome. What follows is my top five albums of the year, they're in no particular order except for what I arbitrarily name "Albomb of the Year!" Now there are some rules here, firstly I'm taking the same oath I did last year: basically I'm sticking with things that you might not have heard of before, so Kanye West's new album might be the shit on holy toast but I'm not fucking listing it here understand. So let's get to it shall we.

Black Thorn by Flatfoot 56. Tired of the everyday grind? Want to get away from it all?
Ever dream of a life of...romantic adventure? We offer you…Escape! These words start Flatfoot 56's latest album (in one of the best album intros ever recorded), a celtic/punk/oi band hailing from Chicago. Did I mention that they're Christian? And that they still rock? Actually, if I hadn't told you their religious affiliation you probably would've never guessed it, and that's because they're real Christians (and thankfully not on a Christian label). This is an album full of songs about being poor, about being a blue collar stiff working a 9 to 5, about being fucked over by the man, and knowing there's got to be something more out there. Flatfoot 56 is willing to shout on a soapbox with you, they offer you escape, and never ever judgment. Also they plain rock.

Fang Island by Fang Island. These guys kinda remind me of The Octopus project but with some vocal parts. That probably means nothing to you, but that's ok. All I know is that they're indie, kinda trippy, and when I listen to it I can be a third of the way through the album without realizing the song has changed. The way that each song flows into the next makes this an album fan's album, to give you as sense of this check out this video of the album's first four songs, see if you can really tell when the first song ends.With each song being two to three songs of its own and most songs flowing neatly into the next, it almost reminds me of a much more laid back Modest Mouse recording a rock opera.

Death is Silent by Kno. Do you like rap? Oh, then you should buy this album. Note I don't really care what your answer to the question was, you should buy this album. Kno is a member of the brilliant CunninLynguists whose concept album A Piece of Strange is one of the best hip-hop albums of all time. This solo work is right up there too, a concept album about the inevitability of death and it's mellow, dark, and beautifully sad. Not words that usually describe rap eh? If you like rap at all you'll like this, and if you don't already have A Piece of Strange then shame on you. Have a listen here and here.

The ArchAndroid by Janelle MonĂ¡e. A hip-hoppy RnB concept album that is parts two and three of a four part musical epic inspired by Fritz Lang's 1927 silent film Metropolis? An album that sounds like a mashup between Gnarls Barkley, The Flaming Lips, and just about every musical genre under the sun? How could this not be on my list for concept alone. Well there's also the part where it's a metaphor for slavery, civil rights, and any social outcast fighting for equality. Now we're on to something very special. Also I love her hair, and damn can she dance.

And the Albomb of the Year is:

Riposte by Buke and Gass. These guys are so cool and catchy and energetic and just plain rockin. Then you learn that all of it is just two people sounding like a full band. And then you learn that they play homemade instruments, that run through homemade pedals and homemade amps. Hell, the lead singer even has a homemade boot-tambourine thing. And that's when you realize that these two musicians are special. Like some insane mashing of They Might Be Giants with The White Stripes with a punk rockin one-man-band. This is one of the most creative and unique albums, and bands, I've ever heard; and even if this was a full band, they just plain rock. Something that could've been pure gimmick but that's actually musically badass? Well hell, it makes me one excited musician myself. So there you go, check out Buke and Gass. Here's a good song of there's and here's a glimpse of what they're like live (with terrible audio quality).

Whatcha think? Good? Bad? Ugly? Let me know what you think, and what your choices for best music from 2010, I'm always happy to hear new things. Happy new year. Also, be on the lookout for my list of music to look forward to this year, it's shaping up to be an exciting year.

1 comment: